2016-17 Back To School Giveaways In The Area
The 2016-17 school year gets underway for most of SWLA in August. Every year various organizations in the community giveaway school supplies to help parents provide these valuable resources for their kids. No Child Left Behind studies show that if I child has all the supplies they need for school, even something as basic as a book-sack, they do better. All children deserve an opportunity to a good education, but they must have all the tools they need for that to happen.
If you or someone you know has children in need of school supplies, there are several organizations in the area holding 2016 "Back To School" bashes. Families Helping Families of Lake Charles has comprised a list for families in need of a little help, to access these items for their children returning to school.
Some of these events require pre-registration or various paperwork prior to receiving assistance, so review the below information carefully. Families Helping Families, located at 2927 Hodges Street, is leading the pack with one of the first "Back To School " bashes taking place today! School supplies will be given away beginning at 5:30 p.m. For more details on this or any of the "Back To School" events below, call (337) 436-2570 for further details.
Below are area organizations holding "Back To School" events. Please note this list may be updated from time-to-time, so check back often:
Families Helping Families
• 2927 Hodges Street, Lake Charles, LA 70601
• Must preregister with FHF at (337) 436-2570 or (800) 894-6558
• We have supplies for children in special education in need…parents must preregister and attend at least one school supply workshop and present an IEP to Families Helping Families staff that is less than one year old to be eligible.
• School Supply Workshops will take place on the following dates:
July 19 (5:30 to 7 pm) – Advocating for Positive Behavior;
July 26 (1:30 to 3:30 pm) – Transition into Vocational College;
Aug. 6 (10 am to 2 pm) – IEP Boot Camp;
Aug. 10 (4 to 6 pm) – Social Savvy Parents (located at CPSB LATI Lab A, 1724 Kirkman Street)
REACH (Reaching Educational and Cultural Heights) Annual Back to School Bash
• When: August 6, 2016 from 8am to 11am
• Where: Pryce Miller Recreation Center
• 216 Albert Street, Lake Charles
• All area wide students are invited. Backpacks and school supplies will be given out while supplies last.
• A fun day for the entire family- lunch will be provided, games, face painting, space walk, information & education and door prizes.
• An adult must accompany all children.
• For more information contact La’Techa Landry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Application process for students in Beauregard parish. Get application at office at 628 High School Drive in DeRidder.
• (337) 462-2273
• Taking applications Mon. – Fri. from 9 am to 4 pm for families whose children need school supplies.
• Bring IDs, birth certificates, SNAP letter and proof of residence.
• Call 337-433-4155 for more information.
SWLA Center for Health Services Health & Wellness Fair
• Saturday, August 6th, 9 am – Healthy Community Walk, 10 am to 2 pm – Health & Resource Fair
• Free Health Screenings (blood pressure, glucose, dental)
• Free backpacks and back to school supplies
• Face painting, fun jumps, water slides, hotdogs, popcorn, snow cones
9th Annual Back to School Festival
• Saturday, August 6th, from 9am – 2pm
• Shattuck Street Recreational Park
• Event will have lots of activities for kids along with raffles, door prizes, and lots of giveaways.
• Event is hosted by the Masons Ionic Lodge #26.
• For questions or to make donations, please contact