JayZ Under Fire For His Partnership With Luxury Department Store Barneys — Tha Wire
Jay Z is facing drama over his business relationship with luxury department store Barneys. Over the last couple of weeks the retail store has been accused of racially profiling it’s black customers.
JayZ has found himself on the cover of the New York Daily News paper with the headline “Zero Respect” in reference to his partnership with Barneys department store. Barneys has come under fire for racially profiling its customers. In a recent incident Barneys shopper Trayon Christian, a 19-year old engineering student from Queens told the Daily News he filed a lawsuit against the store. Christian says he was targeted by staffers at Barneys’ Madison Ave. flagship store and detained by police because they didn’t believe a young black man couldn’t afford to buy a $349 Ferragamo belt.
Since then two more black shoppers came forward this past week claiming they were racially profiled by police after shopping in the luxury department store. Those incidents sparked Change.org to start a petition calling for Jay Z to end his partnership with Barneys. So far the petition has reached over 13,000 signatures. In addition, Rev. Al Sharpton will reportedly meet with Barneys execs on Tuesday (Oct. 29) to discuss the racial profiling allegations.
JayZ has remained quiet until now and has finally responded to the controversy surrounding his involvement with retailer. The rap mogul issued a statement Saturday (Oct. 26), through his website Life+Times, denouncing the negative criticism and wanted to make it clear that he doesn’t stand to any money off his “A New York Holiday” collab with Barneys. Here’s Jay Z’s statement in its entirety:
This collaboration lives in a place of giving and is about the Foundation. I am not making a dime from this collection; I do not stand to make millions, as falsely reported. I need to make that fact crystal clear. The Shawn Carter Foundation is the beneficiary and the foundation is receiving 25% of all sales from the collaboration, 10% of all sales generated in the store on November 20th and an additional donation from Barneys. This money is going to help individuals facing socio-economic hardships to help further their education at institutions of higher learning. My idea was born out of creativity and charity… not profit.
I move and speak based on facts and not emotion. I haven’t made any comments because I am waiting on facts and the outcome of a meeting between community leaders and Barneys. Why am I being demonized, denounced and thrown on the cover of a newspaper for not speaking immediately? The negligent, erroneous reports and attacks on my character, intentions, and the spirit of this collaboration have forced me into a statement I didn’t want to make without the full facts. Making a decision prematurely to pull out of this project, wouldn’t hurt Barneys or Shawn Carter, but all the people that stand a chance at higher education. I have been working with my team ever since the situation was brought to my attention to get to the bottom of these incidents and at the same time find a solution that doesn’t harm all those that stand to benefit from this collaboration.
I am against discrimination of any kind, but if I make snap judgement no matter who it’s towards, aren’t I committing the same sin as someone who profiles? I am no stranger to being profiled and I truly empathize with anyone that has been put in that position. Hopefully this brings forth a dialogue to effect real change. — Shawn “JAY Z” Carter
In other news, Chris Brown has once again put himself in some serious trouble. The R&B singer was arrested on felony assault charges yesterday in DC. Of course TMZ is all over it and is reporting that Breezy allegedly attacked a man outside of the W hotel around 4:30 A.M. The alleged victim claims that Chris broke his nose and he may need surgery today. Apparently, a fight broke out behind a photo. As no surprise, the alleged victim plans to press charges against Chris and already has a lawyer on deck.
Law officials announced that Breezy, along with his bodyguard, Christopher Hollosy, 35, was involved in a physical altercation with an unidentified person. Both men where in police custody until today, while the victim was treated at a D.C. hospital and released. This is not a good look for Chris because he’s still on probation. It’s bad enough earlier this year, prosecutors were trying to revoke his probation on bogus hit-and-run charges. The singer was vindicated and the charges were dismissed. Chris has got to start using some common sense. However it may be too late because if these assault charges stick, prosecutors are going to get what they want and Chris is going to jail.
The timing couldn’t be worse, find out why inside Tha Wire below.
Finally, former rap mogul James “Jimmy Henchman” Rosemond was sentenced to life in prison last Friday, plus an extra five years for masterminding a multimillion-dollar drug-trafficking operation in New York. Rosemond declined to speak in court as the Federal Judge scolded him for not utilizing his talents in a positive direction. The judge also rejected his bid for a new trial after his attorney claimed a juror was tainted by reports he read on the Internet about his clients alleged involvement in Tupac Shakur’s 1994 shooting.
Last year, Rosemond allegedly admitted to setting up Tupac Shakur’s infamous ambush at Quad Studios in New York. The 48-year-old music vet, who use to be the manager for Game and Sean Kingston, also faces a trial next month on the 18th for murder-for-hire charges. Find out why below with Tha Wire. In the meantime, Rosemond’s publicist released the following statement on his behalf. It reads:
Today’s life sentence of music mogul, James “Jimmy Henchmen” Rosemond for disheartening for several reasons and it’s unfortunate that Mr. Rosemond was unable to make an official statement because of the appellate process that he must go through and another case that he’ll soon battle.
For those of us who got to know Jimmy for who he is, know a great man who started from the bottom who helped and encouraged those around him to do the right thing. Many of us are surprised by the “person” the prosecutors described in the court room, but it isn’t the Jimmy Rosemond that his friends and family know.
Mr. Rosemond is seeking a new trial because not only because of what he considers a fabricated evidence but also because he believes his attorney Gerald Shargel did a terrible job in consulting and representing him. His new legal team is confident that things will work in his favor and he apologizes to all that have felt he let them down.”
For more of today’s entertainment news, press play now to hear Tha Wire.