Ten Things You Didn’t Know About 107 JAMZ’s Gina Cook
107 Jamz’s “Midday Diva” Gina Cook was born in Boston, Massachusetts, and raised in San Jose, California. She became a permanent resident of Lake Charles at age 13. While working at Boeing, her co-worker, Cullen Washington, convinced her to give radio a try after the plant she was working at closed.
1. Gina’s first radio gig was at KXZZ (Z-16, 1580 AM) with Rob Neal, and Kevin Nash. She then went to work with the late Rockin’ Sidney at KAOK (1400 AM).
2. After working at KAOK, Gina joined the first air staff of KZWA 105.3, comprised of BB Davis, Tharell Grey, RJ the Bad Boy, and D’Avery the Suga Shack, all under the direction of Randolph Walker, here in Lake Charles.
3. After a brief stint from radio Gina came back on August 7, 2000, where she took the reigns of Middays of a brand new station KVEE (107.5 FM). Shortly after, Gina also began to simulcast the Quiet Storm for V’s sister station WTUG (92.9 FM) in Tuscaloosa, Ala. In 2004, KVEE changed it’s format from Urban AC to Urban (Hip Hop & R&B) and became KJMH (107 JAMZ!), of which she is now a 13-year veteran. During her career with 107 Jamz, Gina has simulcasted the #1 Midday Show in Charleston, S.C. at WXST (Star 99.7 FM) JAMZ former sister station, for three years, and all while holding down the hottest Midday Show in lake Charles. Gina Cook is the original “Midday Diva” of radio and has been ruling the Middays since 1991.
4. Gina has 5 siblings. Two (2) older sisters and one (1) older brother and one (1) younger sister and one (1) younger brother.
5. Gina’s dad is the original lead singer of 50′s doo wop group The Platters, Sonny Turner. His songs include “Only You”, “Magic Touch” “My Prayer” and countless others. In his 70′s he still performs around the world.
6. Gina ran track, sang in the choir and played the alto sax both in middle school and high school.
7. Gina is a graduate of Lake Charles-Boston High School, class of 1988.
8. Gina is a graduate of the Delta School of Business, class of 1991.
9. Gina’s has two (2) children, a son who is 19, and and a daughter is who is 3.
10. Gina has been happily married for 20 years.