Throwbacks – My “Top Ten” All-Time Favorite Artists And Groups [VIDEO]
Join me for the Throwback Lunch every weekday at noon on The Peoples Station 107 Jamz in Lake Charles and online on 107jamz.com. It’s truly my favorite time of the day. I looovvve throwbacks and here’s my favorite “Top Ten.”
When I think of ol skool, I think of 70’s soul. I grew-up on Major Harris, The Manhattans, The Spinners, The Commodores, Cameo, Prince, The Time, Bobby Womack, Teddy Pendergrass, Harold, Melvin and The Blue Notes, Aretha Franklin, New Birth, Enchantment, Gladys Knight and The Pips, The Floaters, Gene , The Isley Brothers, Natalie Cole, The Ohio Players, Con Funk Shun, The Dazz Band and much more.
Growing up in 70’s, 80’s and 90’s I’m fortunate enough to have been around for the birth of rap/Hip Hop. The way I listened to music was never once I heard ” Rappers Delight” for the first time. I was in love with Michael Jackson there’s no doubt about it. His sister Janet Jackson let everybody know who was in control. Nobody could put it down like Freddy Jackson and Luther. I miss the angelic voice of Aaliyah. When I think of throwbacks, I think of Kurtis Blow, Midnight Star, En Vouge, Klimax, Shalamar, Black Sheep, Xscape, Arrested Development, Zapp, Levert, A Tribe Called Quest, New Edition, Boys II Men,Biggie, Pac, Busta Rhymes, Monie Love, Queen Latifah, Mary J Blige, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D and The Boys, NWA, Master P, Missy Elliott and list goes on and on.
I’ve been a fan of music all my life. I like all types of music too. I love to listen to jazz and neo-soul. Gotta love Jill Scott, D’Angelo, Erykah Badu, Kenny G, Anita Baker, Maxwell. I’ve always been a big fan of Gospel music as well. I even like some Pop, Rock and Soft Rock music. Who on earth can sing like Whitney Houston? No one, that’s who. Nobody could hit a note like Mariah Carey. I love the mighty Tina Turner, Journey, Aerosmith, The Human Leauge, Genesis and Phil Collins, Michael McDonald and The Doobie Brothers, Pink, Sting, Hall and Oats and others. I like some Country too, like my girl Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers and Randy Travis.
However with all these different likes, I do have some favorites. My favorite groups and artists can sing ANY song and I’m going to love it! Here’s my “Top Ten”.
1. Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY can out perform Pattie Labelle. I’ve seen her several times live and will be the first in line to see her again. I love me some Pattie. Here’s one of my many favorites from her.
2. Earth, Wind & Fire always had something to say. There music is memorable and soulful. They are truly one of my all-time favorite groups. Here’s one of my many favorites from them.
3. This chick is a beast in my book. The beautiful Lauren Hill has a timeless voice and her unique style is still un-matched. She is another artist that always had a message in her music. Speaking which, here’s one of my favorites.
4. The L-Y-T-E is my absolute favorite Hip Hop artist. She’s got class. Her voice is also very unique and her delivery was always fierce and smooth. Listen to how MC Lyte puts it down with Xscape on this one. Go Girls!
5. The iconic Sade is one of the most unusual artist alive. Her music and sound unforgettable. I love me some Sade and like Maze, she doesn’t ever have to do anything new. Just sing. Here’s one of my Sade favorites.
6. Speaking of Maze, I can listen to them all day. There’s one of the very few groups that can tour month after month, year after year and sell out everywhere they go. I don’t think they’re dropped an album since the 90’s, yet I don’t care. They are another group, that always has a message and here’s one of my favorites from them.
7. I got one word….GUY.
8. Sista’s With Voices have always been one of my all-time favorite groups. I was beside myself when they came back in 2012 with the album “I Missed Us”. The lead off single was Co-Sign and it’s like the never left. So, here’s something old and new from SWV.
9. Everybody had a Jodeci cassette back in the day. They were and still are one of the most popular male groups of all time. This was my song right here.
10. What can I say about this group, other than I love them. Mint Condition can sing Mary Had A Little Lamb and make it a hit. Stokley Williams is incredible! I love everything they ever made, but here’s one of my favorites.