Mardi Gras ‘Shoe Box Float’ Registration
Let's see if you can make the best Mardi Gras float. Not for Fat Tuesday, but out of a shoe box! The deadline to register to participate in the upcoming contest is January 20, 2015.
Before you know it, the Mardi Gras season will be here. The Lake Charles / Southwest Louisiana Convention & Visitors Bureau has the perfect thing to get you excited about Louisiana's favorite carnival. Everyone in your school, family and city can participate in this contest.
Register to participate in the Mardi Gras Shoe Box Float contest. There are three categories- School Groups, Amateur and Professional. Prizes will be awarded to for "Best of Show" in all categories, to 1st/ 2nd place winners and ribbons will be given to 3rd place.
For the registration form, click here. For more info, contact the Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana Convention & Visitors Bureau at (337) 436-9588 or 1-800-456-SWLA.
- Your float must be made from a traditional cardboard shoebox no larger than 9" x 13" and limited only by your imagination.
- Decorations on the box should not exceed 15" tall.
- Avoid wheels, placing float on truck body, motorized toys or a piece of cardboard larger than the shoebox.
- An amateur applicant may one enter one float per applicant.
- A school group may enter no more than three floats per class.
- The name of the individual or school group must be placed on the bottom of the float only.
- Floats will be received on Friday, January 30, 2015 from 3:00 - 4:30 pm at the Bureau.
- Judging will be based on theme, originality and construction. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
- Awards will be presented Saturday, January 31, 2015 by Gumbeaux Gator at the Bureau at Noon.
- Shoebox floats will remain on display at the Bureau through Friday, February 28, 2014.
- The People's Choice Award will be announced Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.
- Once the display has concluded, the floats must be picked up by 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 20, 2015.