Calcasieu Parish Police Jury Offering COVID-19 Mortgage Help
If you're a homeowner in Calcasieu Parish having difficulty paying your mortgage because of the COVID-19 crisis, assistance is available. The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury announced July 16 that its Human Services Department will soon be offering COVID-19 Mortgage grants.
Thanks to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES) and Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), much needed funds are available for mortgage payment assistance. The Police Jury's Human Services now has an additional $786,000 to help qualifying Calcasieu Parish homeowners. Human Services Director Tarek Polite said the department was excited, “to potentially help relieve some of the financial hardships the pandemic has placed on them.”
Grants valued up to $3,000 per household could be given to 100 residents for mortgage payments.
Residents must meet the Family Size and Yearly Gross Income requirements in order to qualify. See if you are eligible to receive a grant using the following qualifications:
- 1 Family Member - $25,524 Yearly Gross Income
- 2 Family Members - $34,476 Yearly Gross Income
- 3 Family Members - $43,440 Yearly Gross Income
- 4 Family Members - $52,404 Yearly Gross Income
- 5 Family Members - $61,356 Yearly Gross Income
- 6 Family Members - $70,320 Yearly Gross Income
- 7 Family Members - $79,284 Yearly Gross Income
- 8 Family Members - $88,236 Yearly Gross Income
- 9 Family Members - $97,200 Yearly Gross Income
- 10 Family Members - $106,164 Yearly Gross Income
Residents who meet the criteria can apply for mortgage payment grants beginning Monday, July 20 at 7:00am by calling 337-721-4033. Call center lines will be open Monday through Friday from 7:00am through 7:00pm. Just follow the prompts to schedule an appointment. Grants will be distributed to residents who qualify on a first come-first served basis until all slots are filled.
After the homeowner schedules an appointment the following documents must be provided for proof of Calcasieu residency: valid driver's license or photo ID, social xecurity card, and proof of household Income. Upon approval, grant funds will be paid directly to the homeowner’s mortgage company in a lump sum.
PLEASE NOTE: Call center phone lines will not open until 7:00am Monday, July 20 to make appointments.