Sandbag Locations in Calcasieu Parish
All eyes are on the tropics right now with two storms threatening Southwest Louisiana. Authorities are suggesting you go ahead and take precautions and get your plan in place.
First, there is Marco, which is expected to making landfall as a Category 1 hurricane late Monday afternoon / early Tuesday morning in East Louisiana and take a quick left. The latest track shows Marco will then skirt across the entire coast of Louisiana, hitting the Southwest Louisiana area as a tropical storm by Tuesday morning or midday.
Then, there is Laura. This is the one we really have to watch in Southwest Louisiana. This storm looks like, once it gets into the Gulf of Mexico, will strengthen to a hurricane and is forecast to become at least a Category 2 hurricane.
Currently, Laura is set to make landfall late Wednesday afternoon / early evening and the cone shows it is currently on pace to make landfall at the Texas/Louisiana border.
The time to prepare is now. The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury has announced sandbags and sand are now available at locations around the parish. There are eight separate locations in Calcasieu Parish where residents can go fill and get sandbags for your property.
- Ward 1 Barn -- Located at 461 Parish Road, Moss Bluff
- Ward 2 Barn -- Located at 7085 La. 14 East, Hayes
- Ward 3 Barn/ East Public Works Facility -- James Sudduth Parkway, behind 5500B Swift Plant Road, Lake Charles
- Ward 3 Old Barn -- 2320 Smith Road, Lake Charles
- Old Kroger Building -- Corner of Beglis Pkwy. and Napoleon St., Sulphur
- Ward 5 Barn -- 129 Third St., Starks, La
- Ward 6 Barn -- 1275 Plum Street, DeQuincy
- Ward 8 Barn -- 1726 Parish Barn Road, Iowa
All sandbag locations are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Police Jury says residents must furnish their own shovels, and CPPJ crews will restock with sand at all locations as long as weather permits.