Hurricane Sales Tax Holiday Coming Up
The state has scheduled this year's Louisiana Sales Tax Holiday for Hurricane Preparedness Supplies for this weekend, beginning at 12:01am Saturday, May 27 and ending at 11:59pm Sunday, May 28.
The sales tax holiday only applies to state sales taxes. Local taxes are unaffected by the state sales tax holiday.
State sales tax is currently 5%. Qualified purchases made during the holiday will receive a 2% exemption from state sales tax, with the remaining 3% of the tax still being applied. Furthermore, the tax holiday applies only to the first $1,500 of the sales price of qualified items.
Additionally, purchases made at any airport, public lodging establishment / hotel, convenience store, or entertainment complex are not eligible for the tax exemption.
Purchases Eligible for Exemption
- Any portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio
- Any tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting
- Any ground anchor system or tie-down kit
- Any gas or diesel fuel tank
- Any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6 volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding
automobile and boat batteries
- Any cell phone battery and any cell phone charger
- Any nonelectric food storage cooler
- Any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage
- Any storm shutter device
- Any carbon monoxide detector
- Any reusable freezer pack such as “blue ice”
For more information on the sales tax holiday, click here.