Let’s Go – Upgrade Your Health With Shatonia McCarty
This week with Upgrade Your Health, Shationa share valuable tips for you and your family to use for a healthier lifestyle.
Let's Go! Is helping children and families eat healthy and be active. Children model after us. We have to start healthy habits at home for it to be instilled in our children and family. This campaign is an excellent guide to practice healthy habits:
5 - fruits and veggies
2 - hours or less of recreational screen time
1 - hour or more of physical activity
0 - surgery drinks
For more information refer to www.letsgo.org. Listen to today's Upgrade Your Health for more details about Let's Go!
Shatonia plays a vital role in the Sharmita Rideau K.I.S.S. Project, by giving participants vital nutrition guidelines to use on their journey to living a healthier life. For more details see below:
The Purpose of THE K.I.S.S. PROJECT is to work with ALL women with an emphasis on African American women and low income households in the SWLA area who want to lose 20 plus pounds. L.I.F.E. FIT is part of Dare to be healthy program ran by The Partnership of a Healthier SWLA. This project will ensure these hand-picked women that they will leave more educated, aware, accomplished, determined and lighter naturally and spiritually. They will be able to maintain by using the simple but effective steps that are taught through the curriculum on their own for the rest of their lives.
- All women will have to fill out a K.I.S.S. application. This will have a variety of question to get to understand them better and get an idea of if they will be committed and if they qualify for the help.
- L.I.F.E. FIT will sift the applications for 30-40 committed women willing and ready to go down this journey
- Women will have to attend a 90 day/12 week program in which they will meet with the L.I.F.E. FIT instructor 3 days out the week.
- 2 days will consist of simple physical activities ranging from outdoor runs/walks workout camps to water aerobics class, floor aerobics and body weight training. 1 day out of the week will consist of the S.I.M.P.P.L.E. curriculum and through the teachings of registered dieticians that are part of the Partnership.
- After the 12 weeks are over L.I.F.E. FIT will maintain connections with the women through their maintenance time.
Measurements of the project:
- The women will weigh-in and get their measurements (height, weight, age, BMI etc.) done at the beginning of the program.
- K.I.S.S. assessments will be given at start of program and every 3 weeks during the 90 days. This will measure strength, endurance and accomplishments of goals.
- Goal setting will be a major part of the project, we will set the goals weekly these will be attainable and simple goals.
- Journal keeping- writing down how they are feeling daily, this will be an outlet for their frustrations, victories, hurts and accomplishments.
Incentives for being a part of this Project:
- Women will be highlighted through different forms of media, there will be gifts when goals have been accomplished.
- If any feel like they would like to continue the project for the next year they will be able to if L.I.F.E. FIT sees the need.